Following our AGM, we have had some amazing suggestions to help our fundraising efforts!
Fund matching from banks, blue chip companies, and the Masons. Do you or your partner work for a bank or blue chip company that Fund Match for charities, and would you be prepared to support a qualifying event? Are you a Mason? Would you be prepared to help raise funds for our Disabled Tennis Coaching programme?
Would anyone be prepared to set up and run a 200 Club to raise funds?
If you can help with any of the above, please let us know at email@example.com
You can also donate when you buy on-line from Amazon or through Easyfundraising, without it costing you anything at all. For Amazon, instead of entering through the usual website, just enter www.smile.amazon.co.ukand nominate Purley Bury Tennis Club as your charity – 0.5% of the cost of your items will be automatically donated to the club. Nothing changes with the history; you can still see all your previous information on the original site.
Easyfundraising turns your everyday online shopping into free donations for our club. How? Just start your online shopping first at easyfundraising,
then shop as normal. If you enter this and sign up, as soon as you raise £5, Easyfundraising will add a bonus £5. Michael’s purchases have raised £40.60 for the club in the past month. Holiday companies such as Tui will donate as much as 6% of the cost of a holiday. They have 3,601 retailers including the likes of ebay, John Lewis, Sainsbury’s, M&S participating in the scheme. So far they have raised over £25 million for thousands of community groups, schools, sports clubs, small and large charities across the UK.
We realise that you may prefer to support other causes, but please consider enabling our club to benefit from these schemes
- This was the first AGM of Purley Bury Tennis Club Charity Number 1176144.
- The Club’s lease had been renewed and would run for 21 years from 5 June 2019
- The Charity had generated a surplus of £28k in 2018 of which over £7k was contributed by the bar (PBTC Social Limited). The Charity had net assets of £85k and PBTC Social Limited £5k
- The replacement of the floodlights and the courts was likely to cost up to £200k. Therefore grants or loans in excess of £100k would be required if the work was to be carried out. Fundraising was the Chairman’s top priority for 2019 and other members would need to stand up and take responsibility for the efficient running of other aspects of the club such as organising maintenance. It was essential that the club continued to generate surpluses each year and make provision for the sinking fund to cover future expenditure. Subject to the financial and planning constraints work on the lights was expected to commence in the Autumn of 2019, and the courts in 2020.
- The Club had held successful Junior and Senior Tournaments in the summer. The club continued to field mens, ladies, mixed, friendly and veterans teams which were enjoyed by many members. Rusty rackets sessions on Mondays continued to be a popular route for new members to join the club. Monday and Thursday rota sessions were well attended. There were opportunities for more players to enjoy the early session on Thursdays and also Sunday Mornings. Saturday afternoon singles continued to be popular.
- The disabled section was flourishing with 16 members. Sponsorship had been obtained which meant that the coaching was free.
- MDL Coaching continued to support the Junior Section with sessions for all ages and standards. The older juniors were encouraged to join in match practice and the adult sessions once they had reached the required standard
- It was intended to refurbish the top building in 2019 and start a table tennis section.
- Membership Terms and Conditions to supplement those in the Charity’s Constitution were agreed – http://purleyburytennisclub.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Membership-TCs-6-Feb-19PDF.pdf. These included tennis specific items previously in the old rules and the responsibilities of members.
- It was proposed and agreed that there would be no increase in membership fees. Restricted members had been given full Adult membership for the remainder of the membership year, and it was agreed that the Restricted category be withdrawn. Non-playing membership of the Charity “Friend of Purley Bury’ for those committed to further the purpose of the CIO would be offered for £25 and include eligibility for British Tennis Membership and the Wimbledon ballot. Social membership of PBTC Social Limited would continue to be available for £15.
- The Chairman thanked the Board, the Bar Director, the Management Team, the team captains, the rota organisers and everyone who had volunteered to help the management team and the fund raising. More than 70 Adult and Junior members had volunteered. He welcomed Kelly Rowland as Welfare Officer, Chris Backway and Nathan Ascott as Mens Captain and Vice-Captain, Jo Elson, Catherine Kennedy as Ladies Vice-Captains and Andrew Gunn as Clients Rep for the replacement of the lights and the courts.
- The Chairman also announced that he and the Treasurer, Geoff Green, did not intend to stand again in 2020 to allow time for succession planning. Both intended to continue to support the Management Team. This meant that it was essential that members willing to become trustees or members of the management team came forward during 2019 if the club was going to continue to prosper
- All the Trustees were required to stand down at the first AGM of the Charity and be nominated for reelection at the meeting if they wished to continue. Michael, Vaughan, Chairman, Geoff Green, Treasurer, John Davey, Secretary, Mark Love, Head of Tennis and Sarah Wilson, Membership Secretary had all been nominated to continue as Trustees and were duly elected. There were no other nominations
Dates for your diaries
Friday 29th March – 5pm – 6.30pm -Quorn Family Cup – This is a Fun family tournament that will take place at the club for children aged 10U to play with a parent/family member aged 18 yrs and over on a mini tennis RED sized court. Entry details will be released soon. The winners will play in a regional event to represent PBLTC.
Tuesday 30 April – Membership renewal due – don’t forget a discount is available for full members who pay by BACS on or before 29th April (so that funds are in the bank on 30th please).
Sunday, 2nd June – Lease celebration day! A day of tennis, fun and games, combining with the Croquet Club and Bowls Clubs, to celebrate our new 21 year lease, effective from 5th June. Enjoy a barbecue and lots of activities during the day. Schedule and details to be confirmed.
Friday afternoon, 21st June – BreakPoint Charity Challenge. In June 2019, Robyn Moore, in association with Bright Ideas for Tennis, is attempting a monumental challenge. She will hit 200,000 tennis shots in 30 days. In doing so, she will need to play for 8-10 hours per day for 30 consecutive days. Her shots will be recorded by the Swing App (on her Apple watch) and she will average 1 shot every 4 seconds! Robyn, who suffers with PTSD herself, will be visiting 46 venues throughout the UK, including clubs, parks, schools, disability venues, and ATP/WTA Pro tournaments, and each day will be a festival of tennis – open to all to watch, or participate. Purley Bury Tennis club is proud to host Robyn on 21st June. There will be a barbecue, an ‘I Play 30’ Disabled coaching session, and lots of fun activities for all age groups. The final shots will be struck on the prestigious courts of the All England Community ground in Wimbledon on 30th June. Times and details of activities and Robyn’s programme at PBTC will be sent out in advance – please put this date in your diaries and join in the fun!
2019 Tournament – The sign up sheets with details of timetable for each round will go up in March and be taken down on 1st May
There will be the main club draw with a plate event running along side for players going out in the first round. The plate proved to be very popular with the members last year with some fantastic tennis taking place! You will automatically be entered into the plate tournament for more matches, so there will be a chance for everyone to play lots of tennis!
Saturday 4th May – The draw will take place at 5pm after a fun doubles event
Saturday 11th & Sunday 12th May – First round weekend – please do try to keep this weekend free.
Saturday, 6th July – Junior Finals Day
Sunday, 7th July – Senior Finals Day
Saturday, 14th September – Grand Summer Ball at Purley Downs Golf Club
LASTLY, DAVE WINTON WILL BE ORGANISING A WORKING PARTY 9 AM – 1 PM ON SATURDAY 30 MARCH 2019 TO TIDY UP THE GROUNDS. PLEASE LET HIM KNOW IF YOU ARE ABLE TO HELP firstname.lastname@example.org
YOUR PURLEY BURY MANAGEMENT BOARD